Keeping an Eye on Growing Smiles
The American Association of Orthodontists recommends kiddos have their first orthodontic evaluation at age seven. Most of the time, Dr. Kothari will simply keep an eye on your child’s growth and development and let you know when the time is right to start orthodontic treatment down the road. If early interceptive treatment or something like a habit-breaking appliance is indicated, we always take a conservative approach and help you make an informed decision about your child’s care. Our Tarrytown orthodontic and pediatric dental practice is bright, kid-friendly and welcoming. We make visits fun and engaging so that it’s stress-free for both children and parents.
Why Age Seven?
- Orthodontists can spot subtle problems with jaw growth and emerging teeth while some baby teeth are still present.
- We can offer guidance if your child has harmful oral habits like thumb sucking or tongue thrusting. We also offer habit-breaking appliances if necessary.
- A check-up is the only way to reveal if your child’s bite is fine, if there’s a developing problem that can just be monitored, or if early interceptive treatment is the best approach.
- Early treatment may prevent or intercept more serious problems from developing and may make treatment at a later age shorter and less complicated. In some cases, Dr. Kothari will be able to achieve results that wouldn’t be possible once the face and jaws have finished growing.
If your child is older than seven, it’s not too late for a check-up. Since we offer both orthodontics and pediatric dentistry in one location, we can take care of all of your child’s smile needs at any age.
The Benefits of Early Treatment
In cases when early treatment is necessary, it can give Dr. Kothari the chance to:
- Guide jaw growth
- Lower the risk of trauma to protruding front teeth
- Correct harmful oral habits
- Improve appearance
- Guide permanent teeth into a more favorable position
- Create a more pleasing arrangement of teeth, lips and face
Your Child’s Smile Will be in Good Hands
We’ll partner with you to ensure your child has a healthy smile and functional bite. These early check-ups are complimentary and we make them enjoyable so kids actually like visiting the office. Schedule your child’s free orthodontic evaluation online or by calling or texting 914 Smiles at (914) 332-0900.
Schedule your child’s first orthodontic visit by age seven!
About 10 to 15% of children could benefit from early interceptive treatment.
6 to 7
The first permanent molars usually come in between the ages of six and seven.
Check Out Our Office
Healthy smiles start here! Tour our bright, modern pediatric dental and orthodontic office in Tarrytown.
Read Our Reviews
Find out why our Tarrytown, NY braces, clear aligner and pediatric dental patients love 914 Smiles.
Book a Free Consultation
Schedule a visit to learn about how our team can make orthodontic or dental treatment work for your family!