Dr. Rishi Kothari of 914 Smiles helps identify some of the health benefits that come along with straight teeth after being treated with braces in Westchester, NY; benefits that help patients live happier and healthier lives, with a picture-perfect smile.
What’s healthy about having braces?
Many patients get orthodontic treatment with braces to straighten their teeth and improve their smile. Another bonus to having straight teeth is the health benefits that that they provide. This bit of information is new for many orthodontic patients. However, many do not know what exactly these health benefits are. Dr. Rishi Kothari tells his patients that having straight teeth means:
• Less plaque build-up because straight teeth are easier to keep clean. When you see an ad for toothpaste or a toothbrush, the models used in these ads all feature bright, white, exceptionally straight smiles. That’s because straight teeth, beyond being a cosmetic goal, get and stay clean more easily and effectively. Crooked teeth can cause a buildup of plaque. Whether the teeth are overlapped, overcrowded, or hard to reach, food (and thus plaque) may build up because it cannot be reached by a toothbrush or floss. This causes a buildup of food and plaque that can lead to cavities, discolored teeth, and bad breath. More serious problems including tooth decay and gum disease can be caused by a buildup of plaque. By simply aligning your teeth with braces, the teeth will then be easily accessible and can be brushed and flossed effectively.
• Less Injuries: Crooked teeth chip or break more easily than teeth that are in alignment. Braces correct the problem and ensure a healthy, straight, functional set of teeth for a lifetime.
• Straight teeth cause less stress to the jaw bones. When teeth are crooked or crowded, the functionality of the jaw is compromised. This can lead to abnormal wear-and tear on the teeth and cause discomfort or pain, and even exacerbate the rate of tooth decay. Chewing, biting and speaking abilities are optimized when you have straight teeth. This pain might occur because of a misaligned jaw or because the teeth may be overlapping and wearing each other down. By straightening your teeth, the pain will subside because your teeth and jaws will be aligned and in place and working to their optimal effectiveness.
• A healthy mouth promotes a healthy body through better eating habits: There is medical evidence that supports the fact that poor oral health may contribute to a variety of physical maladies beyond the mouth. This includes diabetes, stroke, heart disease and complications for pregnant women. Bacteria from the mouth can enter the bloodstream, the lungs, and the gut, thus affecting the entire immune system. Crooked teeth can also cause patients to have problems eating. When teeth are not aligned properly, it can be difficult to bite into hard or crunchy foods such as carrots or pretzels. This problem can cause patients to stop eating some foods, even if they are healthy and provide daily needed nutrition.
• More Self-Esteem: Getting braces from 914 Smiles and achieving straight teeth automatically helps improve self-esteem in patients from Ossining NY who get braces. When your teeth are straight, your mouth is healthy and your smile is bright. Many patients of Dr. Rishi Kothari are no longer embarrassed of their crooked teeth!
These are a few of the reasons why straight teeth and a healthy mouth are more than just a cosmetic concern. Misaligned teeth, corrected through braces, improves the quality of life for patients of Sleepy Hollow Orthodontics.