Chipping your tooth is no joke. It can happen suddenly while munching on a snack or while playing contact sports. A tooth is also more likely to chip if it is not in the correct spot. Dr. Rishi Kothari and the team at Sleepy Hollow Orthodontics help patients that live in or work near Pleasantville NY prevent the damage altogether through orthodontic treatment. Sleepy Hollow Orthodontics also serve patients that live in Sleepy Hollow NY, Hawthorne NY, Briarcliff Manor NY and Armonk NY.
1. Undergoing Orthodontic Treatment: You have different, specially shaped and placed teeth for specific functions. Each tooth has a purpose and having your teeth well cared for will ensure maximum efficiency and less damage overall. Your front teeth are called incisors and are used to cut food into smaller pieces (think: biting into an apple or a chunk of meat). Next are the canine teeth. They grip onto tough foods and help the incisors do their work. Premolars are a cross between canine teeth and molars. They help the canine teeth grip and the molars to crush. Molars are used for grinding harder foods like nuts and raw vegetables. Your teeth, when working properly and in concert, make a world of difference to your quality of life!
2. Drink and Eat Foods High in Calcium: As long as you are getting the FDA-approved amount of calcium, you can help strengthen and protect your teeth and jawbone (which holds your bottom teeth in place). Orthodontists recommend leafy greens and milk, both which contains a lot of calcium. Avoid soda and alcohol, which contain compounds that weaken bone and teeth. Hard foods are also notorious for chipping teeth that are already showing signs of decay. Stick to a healthy diet and practice good, regular oral health care practices, and your body (and your teeth) will be quite happy!
3. When Playing Sports, Always Use a Mouthguard: Mouthguards are scientifically designed to redistribute the force of an impact to your teeth and gums. While not all sports require mouthguards while participating in a game or during practice, always wear one to keep your teeth safe.
4. Always Brush Your Teeth: Good oral hygiene prevents teeth from chipping and decay. Orthodontists recommend you brush and floss after every meal and see an orthodontist and a dentist regularly (at least twice a year) to make sure your teeth and gums are healthy. An orthodontist and a dentist can also give you advice to help strengthen your teeth.
5. Don’t Grind: Most patients who grind their teeth do it in their sleep, however some do grind their teeth during the day as well. If you grind your teeth, ask your orthodontist for help. Dental protection systems are available that can prevent teeth grinding during both the day and the night. Grinding teeth can not only be an indicator for a medical condition, but also the result of excess stress. Take some time out of your day to relax and pray or meditate.
6. Ask About Orthodontic Appliances Such as Recaldent: Orthodontic appliances such as Recaldent, can be used to prevent teeth from being chipped. Recaldent has been proven to repair tooth and enamel decay by strengthening teeth from the outside.This product can be made and mixed into a number of forms, including a toothpaste-like compound, added to specialized milk, and used in sugar-free gum.
Dr. Rishi Kothari and the team at Sleepy Hollow Orthodontics are experts in orthodontics. If you have any questions pertaining to Invisalign, Invisalign Teen, braces and clear braces in Pleasantville NY 10570 zip code area, Sleepy Hollow NY, Hawthorne NY, Briarcliff Manor NY and Armonk NY or would like to schedule a complimentary consultation with Dr. Rishi Kothari contact Sleepy Hollow Orthodontics at: (914) 332-0900